Sunday, February 1, 2015

Nosgoth: my baby steps into internet world of ownage

I had a certain problem with my gaming portfolio for a very long time. Most of my games required a lot of time so I didn't have a game that I could jump in for 15 minutes or less. Few months ago I've heard about Nosgoth. When open beta (mostly because I was bored at the time) I decided to check it out. And boy oh boy, it looks like I won't leave anytime soon.

Nosgoth is one of these games that you jump in to play one or two matches and end up playing for two hours or more. It is really hard to classify this game. It combines features of MOBA and shooter and spices this mix with asymmetric gameplay. Game shares many similarities with upcoming Battlecry developed by Bethesda. Here's how it works:

  • Nosgoth is pvp-only game that pits 4 man teams against each other in deadmatch or control the map mode;
  • match consists of two rounds, you play one round as a vampire and one as human. Each faction has 4 classes with unique abilities. There is no character progression. Game uses skill deck system. You pick your abilities, perks and weapons from larger pool;
  • it's a twitch game so it's not for everyone. If you don't like the game after playing for 2 hours it's best to move on to something else;
  • what makes Nosgoth interesting for me is asymmetric gameplay. Both factions have strengths and weaknesses. Humans are good at range, vampires in melee. It requires players to employ different tactics depending on faction they are playing. At the moment humans seem to be a bit weaker because they require sticking together and coordination. If you playing against equally skilled group vampire team usually wins;
  • because of the asymmetric gameplay learning curve in Nosgot is rather steep. At the beginning I got my ass handed to me more times that I wish to remember. You need to master your own class and understand other ones to better cooperate with your teammates and to know what every type of enemy can throw at you;

Game is in open beta and there are few bugs her and there but nothing game breaking. It's free to play and their business model is decent. You can buy abilities, weapons and perks in cash shop but all of it can be acquired via spending gold you can earn in-game. Only things hidden behind paywall are skins and xp/gold boosts.

   

My only gripe with Nosgoth is lack of content. There are only five maps in the game and they are used for both game modes. Also we could use more classes. Fortunately this will be taken care of during 2015. Two new classes are coming, one for each faction. We're also getting at least one new map and a spectator mode.

That will be all for today. I hope this post convinced you to give Nosgoth a chance. Despite few rough edges game can be really addicting and fun. So see you in game and try not to get killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment