Thursday, January 8, 2015

2015 Predictions

If you're fan of MMOs like me chances are good that 2014 was for you a year of disappointment. Every big game that launched had either serious design flaws (Wildstar) or was released without proper testing (ArcheAge) or both (The Elder Scrolls Online). In 2015 we will get no major release and maybe alpha access to 2 MMOs, see below for details. There are few expansions worth checking out. Some already announced and some expected - I'm looking at you Guild Wars 2. To summarize 2015 will not be as interesting as 2014 but there are still few things to watch out for.

Here are my predictions for 2015:

1. Wildstar will either go free to play or buy to play

I'm leaning more towards the latter. Few weeks ago there was a rumor in Chinese media that game is coming to China. There is no way in hell they are going to launch this game on market dominated by free to play with sub. Buy to play on the other hand is viable option. Considering success of Guild Wars 2 in China (almost 4 millions sold copies) that can be right way to go.

2. The Elder Scrolls Online will launch consoles in second or third quarter of 2015

Also the moment game launches it will go buy to play on pc and nextgens. Recently Zenimax Online removed option to sub for 180 days. For now players can choose between 30 and 90 days subscription plans. Looks like they are setting up for a conversion in first half of 2015.

3 We will get playable version of Everquest Next (early alpha)

Ok, I don't have any hard proof to support this one. The reason I'm expecting this to happen is that Sony can't test all key mechanics of Everquest Next in Landmark. Rallying Calls would be a good example. That is why i think Sony is going to start alpha at the end of 2015. Oh and I suspect they will try to sell us founder's packs like they did with Landmark. Only for a higher price. And we all know those packs will sell like hotcakes.

4. Expansion for Guild Wars 2 will be announced

Lack of proper expansion is one of the biggest gripes I have with GW2. And lots of people withing the community share this view. Living Story is nice but players still need those large chunks of content that come with expansion. Next month at PAX South Colin Johanson and Mike O'Brien are hosting panel called "Beyond the Point of No Return". They will be disusing "new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe". So keep your fingers crossed.

That's it folks. My predictions for 2015. I hope all of them will come true so next year I can brag how insightful I was. That plus I just can't wait to get my hands on Everquest Next.

No comments:

Post a Comment